[vorbis] joint stereo implementation

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Mon Jun 18 05:43:54 PDT 2001

>   On 15 Jun 2001, Brendan Cully wrote:
>
> > > Out of curiousity, how will the encoder handle this? I mean, if
> > > "-b 128" is specified to oggenc, will the bitrate hover
> > > around ~80kbps (same quality as current encoder) or will it
> > > hover around ~128kbps (with "40% better quality", so to speak)?
> >
> > I very much hope it does the latter. The former would be very
> > confusing.
>
> For storage, I agree, but I'd prefer it simply lowering the
> bitrate for things like streaming...

Before this gets out of control, I recommend two new
options :

 --bitrate  <desired bitrate>
 --mode   <desired mode>

and deprecate the -b option as an experimental/backward
compatibility/mistake/whatever thing. ( also make it print
a big warning, informing the user about the state of things )

Most users would then use --bitrate and get what they expect.
Others ( developers ) can then still select a mode directly
with --mode, if they want to.

The names of this two options could something different off course
( --codebook ? ) and one letter version should also be available.

--
David Balazic