[vorbis] Can I encode now?

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Sat Jun 16 02:10:04 PDT 2001

"Dave Sieber" <dsieber at mediaone.net> wrote:

> I saw the news about release 1.0 coming up this weekend, but was wondering
> if there is any reason not to encode now with the pre-release software I
> have. I want to use CDex with its Ogg support ("Ogg Vorbis DLL Encoder
> version 1.04, engine 1.04) to replace my MP3 files with Ogg -- and would
> like to start this weekend while I have the time.
>
> Any advice or suggestions appreciated...

Actually only the decoder 1.0 (that is release-canditate 1) is coming this
weekend. We'll still have to wait a bit for the RC1 encoder.
Anyway, to answer your question. Yes I think it is OK. I have a couple
of CDs encoded with beta4 in -b192 mode and there are no
apparent artifacts. Since you are encoding your CDs you can always
re-encode. So, if you don't want to wait any longer, encode them with
beta4 and eventually you can re-encode them once final 1.0 version
comes out.
(I hope you not trying to re-encode your MP3 by decompressing
them to WAV and then encoding in OGG, because this way you'll
only lose quality).

---
Aleksandar @ Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3