[vorbis] Vorbis under DJGPP (was: DOS commandline decoder for Ogg beta4)

Beni Cherniavsky scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Wed Jun 6 08:12:11 PDT 2001

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Frank Heckenbach wrote:

> Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
>
> > So, is there any demand for compiling vorbis under MSDOS?  Would be nice
> > at least for the plethora of allegro games :-)  I can easily contribute
> > makefiles / build scripts (.bat) / binaries (DOS SDK :), and maintain them
> > with futher releases.  What is the best way to build in an environmet
> > where automake doesn't work?  Should I write a makefile from scratch and
> > keep it synced with futher source changes or try to extract info from the
> > makefile.in / makefile.am ?  DJGPP has all binutils, GNU make, `sed' is
> > reasonable to expect, anything else best if avoided, only static libraries
> > needed.
>
> Also bash etc. are available for DJGPP, so automake actually might
> work (at least I've heard people successfully building other
> automake's packages under DJGPP). But it might be easier for the
> typical Dos user not to require it and do as you did.

The thought crossed my mind, but expecting the average DJGPP user to have
all that installed is too much.  Besides, it's not 100% compatible.
Ideally, it should compile without long file names (i.e. vanilla DOS) -
this should not be hard, unless the shortened filenames aren't unique.
I'll check that.

> I'm not sure; when I need something for DJGPP, I just cross-compile
> it from Linux -- easy enough if the program uses autoconf properly.

Cross compilation can work for someone proving a prebuilt library but
certainly many people without linux would want to be able to compilable
themselves.

> Though it doesn't seem to work with ogg (beta4), at least not out of
> the box, since configure tries to run the test programs checking for
> int16_t etc., so even if I define these types in <sys/types.h>,
> configure fails; I don't know why it does that, but it's probably
> fixable ...

Actually DJGPP has quite a fixed configuration.  There is no reason to
autodetect if it's not painless.  I'll just create some fixed makefiles.
I'll try to post them on Sunday.  Now going offline and home...

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)