[vorbis] Vorbis under DJGPP (was: DOS commandline decoder for Ogg beta4)

Beni Cherniavsky scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Sun Jun 10 02:01:46 PDT 2001

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Frank Heckenbach wrote:
>
> > Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> >
> > > So, is there any demand for compiling vorbis under MSDOS?  Would be nice
> > > at least for the plethora of allegro games :-)  I can easily contribute
> > > makefiles / build scripts (.bat) / binaries (DOS SDK :), and maintain them
> > > with futher releases.  What is the best way to build in an environmet
> > > where automake doesn't work?  Should I write a makefile from scratch and
> > > keep it synced with futher source changes or try to extract info from the
> > > makefile.in / makefile.am ?  DJGPP has all binutils, GNU make, `sed' is
> > > reasonable to expect, anything else best if avoided, only static libraries
> > > needed.

[snip]

I wrote:

> Actually DJGPP has quite a fixed configuration.  There is no reason to
> autodetect if it's not painless.  I'll just create some fixed makefiles.
> I'll try to post them on Sunday.  Now going offline and home...

Of course it's not ready (booted half day from win to dos to linux trying
to undelete a directory with files beyond the 8GB barrier :-).  So I can
ask some more questions:

- What is the preferred place for the DJGPP makefiles?  Should I create
`DJGPP' subdirectories (like the win32 ans mac subdirs) or should I put it
in the top directories of vorbis, ogg and vorbis-tools?  There seems to
be nothing needed except a makefile (no newsource files, like win32 needs)
so a directory seems purrposeless.

- What should I be able make?  Currently, I'd go with building (of
course), install (only libs and includes or should I install docs too?)
and clean.

- Where should the built libs go (before install) - the source directories
or the top directories?

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)