[vorbis] [new?] Streaming technique

Dr.Joerg Bergmann bergmann at rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
Tue Jun 5 06:48:50 PDT 2001

This discussion is interesting, but the problem is:
MP3 as well as ogg encoding is _strongly_ nonlinear.
Of course, you may split a frequency band of 20kHz into
a 5kHz band and a 15kHz band (5...20kHz). This is a linear
operation and as least theoretic possible without
wasting of bandwidth.

But such thinking is invalid for nonlinear mechanisms.
I will give an explanation from my science:
Given any curve, I may fit it with a set of 5 Lorentzians
or, for more accuracy, with 10 Lorentzians. Doing so, the
resulting 10 Lorentzians _wont_ include the less accurate
5 Lorentzians as a subset! Of course, you may construct
such a fit, but it will waste accuracy (or, in ogg:
bandwidth for the same quality).

J"org Bergmann
email at jbergmann.de