[vorbis] [new?] Streaming technique

Aaron Plattner aaronp at crosswinds.net
Tue Jun 5 07:24:33 PDT 2001

Assuming bitrate peeling works correctly, what's preventing
you from just taking a 128kbps stream and splitting it into
a 64kbps sub-stream and a 64kbps "extra data" stream?  The
second stream won't be a valid Vorbis audio file, but when
combined with the 64kbps sub-stream, it'd be the original
128kbps stream again.  Right?  Am I misunderstanding
something?

Aaron Plattner

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 03:48:50PM +0200, Dr.Joerg Bergmann wrote:

> This discussion is interesting, but the problem is:
> MP3 as well as ogg encoding is _strongly_ nonlinear.
> Of course, you may split a frequency band of 20kHz into
> a 5kHz band and a 15kHz band (5...20kHz). This is a linear
> operation and as least theoretic possible without
> wasting of bandwidth.
>
> But such thinking is invalid for nonlinear mechanisms.
> I will give an explanation from my science:
> Given any curve, I may fit it with a set of 5 Lorentzians
> or, for more accuracy, with 10 Lorentzians. Doing so, the
> resulting 10 Lorentzians _wont_ include the less accurate
> 5 Lorentzians as a subset! Of course, you may construct
> such a fit, but it will waste accuracy (or, in ogg:
> bandwidth for the same quality).
>
> J"org Bergmann
> email at jbergmann.de

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>