[vorbis] [new?] Streaming technique

Alex Iribarren ogg at iribarren.com
Tue Jun 5 06:24:01 PDT 2001

"Aleksandar Dovnikovic" <aldov at EUnet.yu> wrote:

> There is no point in having two 64kbps streams, because using
> bitrate peeling you can quickly create one 64kbps from 128kbps.

There is a point. Right now, when someone wants to stream audio, they
usually have to encode it at differens qualities
and offer several broadcasts to suit all users (broadband, modem, etc.).
However, my thinking goes as follows.
What if you could produce several streams out of one, in such a way that
they all complemented each other? Say, for example that you could
break up a
128kbps broadcast into 4 32kb streams. A user on the client side
with a slow
connection could connect to 2 of the streams for the maximum audio
quality
allowed by his connection, while some one with a DSL connection could
use
all 4 streams and recieve the broadcast at 128kbps.

Furthermore, the process of conecting and disconecting from the 4
streams
could be automated on the client side. Say I have a double channel ISDN
line, and I'm listening to an internet radio station that uses this
system.
While surfing, the client (say, WinAmp, for example) could be connected
all 4 streams, so I listen to the radio at 128kbps quality. However,
when I
start to download a file and my bandwith gets divided between surfing,
downloading and playing music, WinAmp could drop one of the streams to
reduce the bandwith usage, and therefore the quality, to 96kb. This
compares
to the present buffered stream system in that the music would not
skip, the
quality would simply be reduced. Personally, I hate it when my music
skips
and to avoid it I am forced to listen to low-quality music even if
the rest
of the bandwidth of my connection is being wasted.

Dado Colussi explained the other part of the idea very well: