[vorbis] Quality switch

Jaakko Lintula crawlie at uk2.net
Sun Jul 1 10:05:31 PDT 2001

On Sunday 01 July 2001 19:54, Sebastian Böck wrote:
> Hello,
> just one question:
> is it possible to implement a "quality switch" to Ogg Vorbis like
> the -V option of the lame encoder?
> It's the only thing I'm missing. Everything else is nearly perfect!

Hmm, the -V option in lame behaves a bit differently. In the current
implementation of oggenc, you specify the target bitrate you roughly
want. This works about like the --abr setting in lame. There is
nothing like lame's -V in oggenc, does someone think there should be?
I've been encoding my oggs with -b 192, earlier I used lame -V1.

Or were you looking something like the -q switch in lame? Something
that mainly affects to the encoding speed and resulting quality, and
not that much to the resulting bitrate/filesize. That'd probably be
useful in some occasions, especially when fast encoding speed is
necessary.