[vorbis] OGG IS BEST, BUT UNUSABLE! (very important)]

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Sat Jan 27 12:07:53 PST 2001

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 08:58:36PM +0100, Marco Al wrote:
> > but then Im not affiliated with a streaming tool :)
>
> Hmmm that didnt come out quite right, was just trying to show I understood it
> wasnt always practical.... didnt mean to make it sound like a slur.

The current vorbis encoder is supposed to be 'constant, set quality'. When
it isn't, there are bugs. :)

The next implemented mode will likely be a bandwidth limited version of
the same (good for streaming).

Future encoders (or streamers) will be able to perform bandwidth shaped
encoding, where you can specify the depth of the receiver buffer and not
allow the buffer to underrun given a certain network speed.

CBR in a perceptual codec is practically useless, even for a CBR transport..
You could pad the free bandwidth if you have nothing better to send there.