[vorbis] [OGG IS BEST, BUT UNUSABLE! (very important)]

craig duncan duncan at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jan 27 08:21:41 PST 2001

Jack Moffitt wrote:

> had to share this one :)
>
> jack.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from [redacted] -----

> From: [redacted]
> To: <feedback at vorbis.com>
> Subject: OGG IS BEST, BUT UNUSABLE! (very important)
> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:08:38 +0100
>
> Hello,
>
> I've been studying mp3 sound quality for a long time and it was a great surprise to find an other decent encoder.
> OGGVorbis has superior sound quality to mp3 ABR/CBR 128, that's a fact.
> So why did I call it 'UNUSABLE'?!?

<snip rest of msg>

I don't know about the feasibility of just cutting and pasting Lame's
VBR code but, as for the rest of it, it sounds like a reasonable
objection to me (i haven't started using Ogg yet because i don't feel
it's really ready for my purposes yet . . . and these comments bear very
much on how usable it would be for me).  So what is the implication of
"had to share this one" with a smiley face?  Did you find the
"criticism" absurd or am i missing something?

craig