[vorbis] VORBISCOMMENT

Mark de Bokx mark at cistron.nl
Mon Jan 22 05:19:06 PST 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:

> Yes!  Well, if we write it...  It's C++ on Windoze, both of which I don't
> like to wrtie for, besides I'm too busy now.  So somebody, it would be
> nice if we have a working vorbis plugin when WA3 is released, so that it
> will hopefully be included in the standard distribution (that's what it
> takes to be "native", doesn't it?).  If every winamp user get's a vorbis
> plugin included and wonders "what's that?" it should conribute much to
> vorbis' publicity.

Not only that, maybe its possible to write plugs for RealServer or/and
QTSS. Personally I would prefer the QTSS, native support
for Vorbis for QTSS (Darwin Server). I am working with a Kasenna
MediaBase server that does MP3, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, QT and Real (through
API). It would be very very very cool if Vorbis would be streamable
through a serverplatform like Kasenna MediaBase or QT. Unfortunately
I am NOT a programmer (far from it, even PERL poses difficulties for
me ;-) so I cannot help building this...but I am sure Kasenna and
Apple are willing to give it a try (I am not sure about Real, they are
not very cooperative with stuff like this).

<Quote from Kasenna admin quide>
Universal Delivery Service (UDS) is a MediaBase delivery pump that is
responsible for streaming variable and constant bit rate (VBR and CBR) media.
DS is designed to be a universal service that is capable of working
with a variety of media formats, and deliver both on-disk and live content
via unicasts, multicasts, and simulated-multicasts.
</Quote>

So IMHO it must be possible to do it.

Regards,

Mark

--
Mark de Bokx - Application Engineer
Cistron Internet Services

"The original point-and-click interface was a Smith & Wesson."