[vorbis] This works: low bitrate encoding

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Jan 16 01:14:17 PST 2001

At 05:41 PM 1/15/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Hey everyone,
>
>Here's one way to get .ogg files down to about
>~20kbps, and it's not too hard:
>
>1.  Use sox to resample the files down to 11025khz
>mono.
>2.  Feed these to OGGLAME (Lame 3.84 Alpha 1 is what I
>had laying around on my hard drive).
>
>OGGENC demands that the files be 44.1khz, but this
>version of ogglame didn't seem to care what
>the sample rate was.

Upgrade to beta3 (or current cvs). Beta 2 is old. OggEnc has accepted
different sample rates since shortly before the beta 3 release (early
november)

LAME can probably do the resampling internally, though (thus not requiring
sox to do this seperately). Not sure how old/out of date the LAME vorbis
support is. Resampling in oggenc is planned, but I don't know when I'll get
around to it.

Michael