[vorbis] This works: low bitrate encoding

Matt and Karin Lawson lawson08 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 17:41:50 PST 2001

Hey everyone,

Here's one way to get .ogg files down to about
~20kbps, and it's not too hard:

1.  Use sox to resample the files down to 11025khz
mono.
2.  Feed these to OGGLAME (Lame 3.84 Alpha 1 is what I
had laying around on my hard drive).

OGGENC demands that the files be 44.1khz, but this
version of ogglame didn't seem to care what
the sample rate was.

I'm sure the quality is not as good as what OGGENC
will eventually produce, but it's a whole lot better
than having a "sorry, streaming is shut off" message
on my site, which is what I have now.

Assuming I can successfully use http streaming with
these files, I'm ready to get streaming up and
running again on my site.  Hope this is useful to
others.

- Matt