[vorbis] A Top Level README for the nightly CVS snapshot

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sun Jan 7 01:03:03 PST 2001

At 03:53 AM 1/7/01 EST, you wrote:
>I ran into a dependency problem while compiling the CVS snapshot which
>did not occur while compiling the beta 3 tarballs. For some missing
>resources, autogen.sh echoes very helpful messages (such as if automake
>is not present), but there was no indication that the kdelibs-devel
>package was required for ao (in order to get artsc.h into /usr/include -
>I'm sure it is possible to edit the configure file to get around this
>for those not using vorbis with arts).

I'm not sure what you mean - did configure fail because of this?
If it did fail, then that's a bug (and a pretty serious one).

If it didn't (and it shouldn't - I added this, and it worked for me even
though I don't have the relevent kde headers present), then that's fine -
that's only required for the kde aRTs (I probably got the capitalisation
wrong there, but I don't care) plugin.

If that isn't present, then it doesn't get compiled - as intended.

>p.s. it was libao, libogg, and libvorbis in the beta, but the CVS drops
>the lib from these names - which is preferred?

The cvs modules are called ao, ogg, and vorbis. The compiled libraries are
libao, libogg, etc. This is independent of whether you have a beta dist
tarball, or a cvs checkout. Neither is 'preferred' - they're for different
things.

Michael