[vorbis] OGG IS BEST, BUT UNUSABLE! (very important)]

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Sat Jan 27 10:58:49 PST 2001

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 10:02:13PM +1000, Geoff Shang wrote:
> haha.  Nice work, Jack.  Seriously though, did you ask him for the
> file?  There's gotta be a reason why it sounded so "bad" and, if it's
> really the case, you guys really should get a copy of it so the problem can
> be fixed.

Well, he's using lame's vorbis support. Everyone I've seen using Lame's
vorbis support has been running against Beta1, but I could be wrong.

Part of his rant was on bitrate control support. The Vorbis encoder doesn't
currenly support the level of bitrate control that he desires.. But that's
only because it's a non-critical feature for most applications.

It's important to keep in mind that the vorbis encoder and the vorbis codec
are VERY differnt things. With our current encoder, vorbis fairs very well
against MP3. But, the Vorbis format has the ability to do much better still.
There are a lot of features in Vorbis that the current encoder doesn't use
yet. It's currently more important to focus attention on the format features
(such as joint channel coding) before getting support in the encoder for all
the little details (like output bitrate shaping).