[vorbis] Question on the nature of b3/b4 changes

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 15:02:52 PST 2001

I have a number of .ogg files encoded with b2, and some with b3. Is the
psychoacoustic model in the forthcoming b4 significantly improved over these
builds, such that re-encoding these files would give me either noticeably
better sound, or smaller files? Also, just out of curiousity, will
b4-encoded files be playable with older WinAmp plugins?

Incidentally, I did some tests with b2 a while back in which I encoded the
same file (a digitally-extracted track from a well-mastered CD) in all of
oggenc's modes, and also in MP3 at a variety of bit rates. I was quite
impressed with Vorbis's ability to retain audio quality. The difference
between oggenc modes 2 and 6 was much more subtle than the difference
between, say, MP3 encodings at 192 and 128 kb/sec. (So much for the myth
that 128k MP3 is "CD quality"...)

Thanks,

Craig