[vorbis] Low bitrate encoding [non-mockery]

Erik J. Kruus kruus.erik at uqam.ca
Thu Jan 11 16:24:20 PST 2001

Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Erik J. Kruus wrote:
> > Now I ask you to read about how sox does it better at two URLS.
> > Sox has three ways, compared with graphs and interpretation
> > at
> >           http://leute.server.de/wilde/resample.html
>
> The polyphase resampler is best (to my ears) when the source and destination
> frequencies are not perfect multiples of each other, but the sox code is
> really buggy (crashes 90% of the time).

Hmmm. Do you have a recent sox? Personally I've only bothered with the
best algorithm, which around sox 12.17 was resynced with the excellent
source code obtained from the second URL I mentioned.

Last summer, I had sox put into continuaous daily production work with
crashing 0% of the time -- in a version with the good resampling code I
mentioned in the second URL I gave, compiled from sox CVS trunk
code last summer and again this fall. (versions 12.17pre or something
and now I have 12.17.1 + some custom patches for playing around).

I most definitely don't have sox crashing 90% of the time!
Ohoh, if you "just" install sox on debian you get sox 12.16 by default
even on unstable.

Maybe this will help you do excellent resampling with 0% crashes
on either linux or windows?

Erik.