[vorbis] Low bitrate encoding

Jesse Jacobsen jmjaco at home.com
Mon Jan 8 14:15:54 PST 2001

Hi, all.

I'm new to this list, and I know that my question touches on a FAQ.
I'm just hoping to get more information than "it's a priority item,
but it's not done yet."  (Basically what the FAQ says.)

I've been encoding about 20 minutes of mono audio each week to as
small a file as I can, so it can be served via html.  As long as the
result is understandable, I'm more than willing to sacrifice quality
for space.  Gogo works well in producing a usable 8kbps file at about
a 12:1 reduction in size, but that's an mp3 file.

The best I've gotten with the ogg tools I've tried is about 65kbps,
VBR.  The quality is much better, but the compression is predictably
not as good.  I've read that ogg is currently capable of "fixed and
variable bitrates from 16 to 128 kbps/channel." Should I be able to
encode an ogg file at a fixed bitrate of 16kbps, or is that feature
still in the vaporware stage?

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux, the vorbis-tools, libvorbis, and vorbize
packages from Woody.  vorbis-tools and libvorbis are 1.0beta3, and
vorbize is 1.0beta1.  I've also tried downloading versions straight
from the Vorbis web site, but they haven't helped.

Thanks,

Jesse

--
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it
is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.