[vorbis] how much room for comments?

Moritz Grimm maxx at kolabore.de
Wed Feb 28 21:43:29 PST 2001

Hi!

While writing a bug report to the Sonique authors, I also thought it
might be useful to ask for a better handling of the OGG Vorbis comment
tags. This lead me to the question on what could be included in the
comments at all, since custom tags are allowed.

The idea was, for example, to write whole song lyrics into the .OGG or
maybe even a small story about how the weather was when the song was
written and what the dog did while you were remastering the tune ... you
know, stuff like that. :)

So, how many characters long can the value of a comment tag be? 80, 256,
512, 1024, 31337 or unlimited chars? This might be good to know, since
players should be able to display those comments somehow and there might
be some UI design problems when scrolling gets involved.

Moritz

P.S.:
TITLE=Snow-White
ARTIST=Grimm Bros.
CHAPTER_1=Once upon a time, there was born a beautiful princess, whose
name was Snow-White. The whole kingdom [...blah]

:-D