[vorbis] how much room for comments?

Ralph Giles giles at ashlu.bc.ca
Wed Feb 28 23:10:33 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 06:43:29AM +0100, Moritz Grimm wrote:

> So, how many characters long can the value of a comment tag be? 80, 256,
> 512, 1024, 31337 or unlimited chars? This might be good to know, since
> players should be able to display those comments somehow and there might
> be some UI design problems when scrolling gets involved.

Each vorbis comment can be 2^32-1 (4294967295) bytes long including the
tag ('TITLE=') and there can be 2^32-1, so that's no a problem.

I think it make more sense to do this in a separate substream
multiplexed with the audio data. Aside from simplifying the
handling (or generalize it, anyway) Means you can send it 'realtime' in
streaming contexts and so on as well.

Some time ago I did a proposal for an xml format for scrolling lyrics
and other timecoded text. Comments welcome.

  http://xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200008/0082.html

Be fun to see this working,
 -ralph