[vorbis] (newbie alert) - home DV video and Premiere?

Reuben Martin rmartin at BRRARCH.COM
Fri Dec 28 08:03:51 PST 2001

>>Howdy. I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, I missed it. (Just
>>point me to the right archive if there is such a thing?)

I'd recommend asking these type of things in the Doom9.net forums...

>>Q1) Is there an easy "setup.exe" or similar, to install the Vorbis codec
>>into Windows?

The windows codec installs using an .inf file.  The Direct Show Filter is
installed using a .msi file.

>>Q2) Would that codec then be available under Adobe Premiere (or Windows
>>Media Player for that matter)?

Yes.

>>Q3) Anyone recommend codec & settings, for both video and audio?

There is no magic setting. Experiment and see what works for the settings
you're wanting to use.

>>Q4) www.vorbis.com seems to be broken... but ogg.org / xiph.org are
>>working

It happens. Try back later.

>>I'm interested in putting about 1hr 20min of home-video onto a CD-R,
>>to share with friends.

Divx is currently about the only (free) codec that can crunch that much full
size video onto a CD and look good.

>>Of course, I want maximum quality possible that will still fit into 700MB.

Don't we all.

>>Also it must be easily playable

Maybe you should look into using Bink

>>haven't yet figured out how to compress the audio track too.

Compress them separately and multiplex them together.

>>Would've already gone w/ MP3 -- a friend recommended LAME
>>-- but it didn't register itself w/ Windows

First you have to download the lame direct show filter, second you have to
register it manually.
If you want easy playback though, I would be careful about using MP3. (Read
Avery Lee's 12/02/01 rant on the problems that MP3 compression causes with
AVI files.)

>>Now I'm checking out the alternatives
>>(Ogg Vorbis sounds great by the descriptions).

Ogg runs into some of the problems that MP3 does within avi files. For easy
playback maybe you should look into something like Bink or SVCD instead of
avi files.