[vorbis] 24/96 ?

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Wed Dec 19 16:33:08 PST 2001

Jack Moffitt (jack at xiph.org) wrote:

> On my recent roadtrip to texas (20 hours in the car!) I listened to a
> lot of radio.  It has either gotten way worse, or I'm just a lot more
> used to hearing those kinds of problems.

It has gotten worse.  I drive about 2 hours a day 5 days a week (commute),
so I hear a fair amount of radio.  Back in March/April, one of the
local radio stations made a *very* noticeable change to their broadcast
signal; it got substantially louder (to the point where I have to drop
the volume to avoid hurting my ears), and at the same time the signal
became noticeably noisier.

Another local radio station changed format this year to that rap-metal
stuff that passes for Alternative today.  It's also one of those
nationally syndicated stations.  The "music" coming from that station
is so noisy I can barely tolerate it.  (And I certainly don't listen to
that station for long periods of time -- the fact that I ever listen to
them *at all* is a testimony to how bad their competition is!)

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |