[vorbis] 24/96 ?

James Ossi diskdoctor at iname.com
Wed Dec 19 13:42:35 PST 2001

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 13:01:57 -0800
Craig Dickson <crdic at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Out of 350 or so CDs, I have maybe 5 that sound truly excellent.
> Which, at least for your listening, pretty well makes the point that the
> CD format itself isn't the problem (or you'd have NONE that really
> sounded great).
Well, after all audio-cd format is almost 20 years old.
16 bit resolution means 85 dB in dynamic range, 24 bit over 100 dB,
apart from the enhanced resolution (IMO you can easily tell the
difference between a CDDA and a DVD-A recording).
It's certainly true that some cd's are recorded, remixed and mastered
wonderfully (think about audiophile labels), but audio dvd's will offer
a *lot* better sound quality.
We won't to trash all our beloved cd's, but it's a fact that 24/96 audio
will offer a significant improvement in the audio department,
so obviously even Vorbis will benefit from better and clearer sources.

--
(o<
//\   GnuPGid: B8B68C17