[vorbis] Re: What systems are you using to listen to Oggs?

Hugo van der Merwe hugovdm at mail.com
Wed Dec 19 07:54:42 PST 2001

> > So what do you use to Listen to your Oggs and would you have any
> > recommendations on sound cards, amplifiers and speakers if I wanted to
> > upgrade my system.
>
> I can't make any suggestions, but here is my rather tiny setup: an AMD
> Athlon with 1.1GHz (xmms consumes 0.9% CPU time upon decoding oggs,
> wohoo), Sound Blaster Live! and a pair of Sony MDR-CD480 headphones.
> Since I live in an environment with limited space (student), I rarely
> use my two Sonobull 60W speakers attached to an old Telefunken HR-800
> receiver.

I recently upgraded my machine (the old one is still alive and well, now
acting as server, but it has very little left in it (no stiffy drive, no
keyboard, etc.). It does still have the Sound Blaster Live!... The new
one has onboard Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (advertised as "Creative blabla"
of course). I must now decide whether to keep the Live! or sell it.
Suggestions? (Is the Live! very much better than the Ensoniq?)

I usually plug it into a Sony Hi-fi that I have from a few years back.
The thing that bothers is that the only input is meant for phono. I
believe this biases bass or something, i.e. not really ideal for
plugging in my sound card. What can I do about it? Is merely dropping
bass volume levels a bit enough? I am sure it would be better to get a
"proper" amp connected. (I'll design and build one late next year, for
the experience, for fun, experience, studies, and hopefully good sound
quality.) Then I guess all that's important is getting really good
speakers?

clarity.

Hugo van der Merwe