[vorbis] libvorbis and vorbis

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Wed Dec 19 07:46:59 PST 2001

> I use Redhat 7.1 and KDE2.2.2.
> There is always a dependency problem when I upgrade "kdebase". This needs
> "libvorbis". Instead of "libvorbis" I have a package called "vorbis-1.0beta4-3".I
> downloaded a new package called"libvorbis-1.0rc2-1". When I tried to installed it,
> there is a conflict problem:

RedHat totally fucked up.  libvorbis is the same thing you expect it to
be.  vorbis is the vorbis-tools pacakge.  RedHat has renamed it so it
confuses everyone.  Why they think they are better at naming our tools
than we are is beyond me.

For RedHat you'll need both vorbis and libvorbis packages.  You should
be able to ditch their rpms and just use our official ones.

I'll send a flame RedHats way and see if I can't get this straighted
out.

jack.