[vorbis] libvorbis and vorbis

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Wed Dec 19 03:09:23 PST 2001

On 2001-12-19, shang_xia at web.de wrote:

> Hello there,
> I use Redhat 7.1 and KDE2.2.2.
> There is always a dependency problem when I upgrade "kdebase". This needs
> "libvorbis". Instead of "libvorbis" I have a package called "vorbis-1.0beta4-3".I
> downloaded a new package called"libvorbis-1.0rc2-1". When I tried to installed it,
> there is a conflict problem:
>
> file /usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0.0.1 from install of libvorbis-1.0rc2-1 conflicts
> with file from package vorbis-1.0beta4-3.
> file /usr/lib/libvorbisenc.so.0.0.1 from install of libvorbis-1.0rc2-1
> conflicts with file from package vorbis-1.0beta4-3.
>
> I don't want to do a froce upgrade because it can affect the other package or even
> the system. I can't uninstall that package either because it is needed by many other
> packages. Can anyone shed light on this problem technically?
>
> Any suggestion?
> Thank you.

I don't think there would be a problem with either way.  The
`vorbis-1.0beta4-3' package is clearly a previous version of libvorbis
(same library, they just changed the packege naming convention at some
point).  Vorbis libraries are completely backward compatible so replacing
it with the new one will do you only good.

I'm not familiar with RPM terminology but unless uninstall automatically
uninstalls packages that depend this one (I guess it doesn't), you can
safely do it.  Things will be broken for only several minutes, until you
install the new one.  Nothing critical in the system depends on vorbis
(just close any music players for the time).  Forcing an upgrade will
leave everything working in just the same way, it's just that it will
leave the extra record of the older package being removed (I'm guessing
again).  If there is a way to tell RPM that the new package is a new
version of the old one, that would be the "politically correct" thing to
do (if you believe warnings always indicate real problems).  In any case
you should not worry.

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)
I like Common Lisp* more than Common Source
   and Open Source  more than Open Collector.
(*)Scheme is better than any scheme.