I Hate Hush-Hush (was: Re: [vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS)

Nathan I. Sharfi nisharfi at csupomona.edu
Thu Dec 13 01:40:09 PST 2001

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 10:02:52AM +1100, MARK JAMES HETHERINGTON wrote:
> >>Here is a way to make people avoid ARTIST by positive rather than negative
> >>means: in the tagging GUI, near every artist field, show a radio list of
> >>PERFORMER, COMPOSER, AUTHOR,
> >
> >That there is a great idea! rather than bug me because I'm being lazy
> >and using the artist tag, encourage me to use something else without
> >annoying me!
>
> How would you recommend the proposal read?  I am a big fan of positive
> encouragement.  Here is your chance to influence the standard.  I
> envisioned ARTIST tags from freedb being silently coerced into PERFORMER
> tags; if you really want an ARTIST tag you would have to change it back.
> That would meet the standard.

I'm against silent coercion; have ARTIST go to ARTIST and leave PERFORMER
overloads and ENSEMBLE for the anal-retentive types like Jonathan and me.

Rationale: ARTIST is more (in my mind) mostly for display, while the more
esoteric tags with more clearly (we hope!) defined contents will be a boon
for indexing. Quite simply, I don't trust that the FreeDB information will
be sufficient for my needs as it is; I'd rather reenter composer information
manually in order to make sure that it's filed appropriately. If the
ripper/encoder/tagger I'm using can do that, wonderful; otherwise, I'd
rather not have quite-possibly-not-perfect-in-my-eyes data going into my
temple of hand-tagged goodness.

(yes, my ogg collection is my temple to OCD ;).)