[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

MARK JAMES HETHERINGTON mark.hetherington at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au
Wed Dec 12 15:53:44 PST 2001

I don't like this:
"Any attempt to use the ARTIST
tag must be an extreme nuisance for the user of the program."

I'd prefer something like "Use of the "PERFORMER/ENSEMBLE" tags instead
of  the "ARTIST" tag should be encouraged. This may be acheived through
interface cues etc. The use of the artist tag should not be made
impossible, or necessarily harder, but the option to use the
PERFORMER/ENSEMBLE tag should be made obvious and convenient."

While silently converting freedb tags to performer would work fine, I
think it might break players looking for the "Artist" tag. (loads xmms).
Hrmmm, it says "%p - performer/artist", how convenient!

Does winamp handle it gracefully with the vorbis plugin?

Now, let me just check grip, it has a "%a" for artist straight from
freedb..... And it's passed straight to oggenc, checking oggenc, oggenc
only allows "-a" for inputing artist tags. How does oggenc save it in
the file? I'm assuming it saves it as "Artist=...."

Well if oggenc allows a "-p" switch to input performer, I can be
compliant by changing one character in my grip config. Or if oggenc
saves it in a performer tag already I'm already compliant.

I just think alienating users by making it really hard to use an artist
tag is a bit harsh, and elitist. (<- maybe not the words I was looking
for exactly, but anyway).

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 10:02:52AM +1100, MARK JAMES HETHERINGTON wrote:
>>Here is a way to make people avoid ARTIST by positive rather than negative
>>means: in the tagging GUI, near every artist field, show a radio list of
>>PERFORMER, COMPOSER, AUTHOR,
>
>That there is a great idea! rather than bug me because I'm being lazy
>and using the artist tag, encourage me to use something else without
>annoying me!

How would you recommend the proposal read?  I am a big fan of positive
encouragement.  Here is your chance to influence the standard.  I
envisioned ARTIST tags from freedb being silently coerced into PERFORMER
tags; if you really want an ARTIST tag you would have to change it back.
That would meet the standard.