[vorbis] title tags -- languages

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Mon Dec 17 22:20:45 PST 2001

I'm not sure if this falls within the scope of tag data, somewhere else,
or if there's any provision for it at all:

I have a lot of songs whose native titles are in Japanese.  For example, I
have a song titled "螟".  The filename for this song would be
"02 - yume [Dream].ogg" (or even "02 - 螟 (yume) [Dream].ogg".) To
automatically name this file, I'd need to (minimally) store both versions
of the title; in practice I might want two Japanese versions, "螟" and
"ゆめ" (so my naming script doesn't have to deal with kanjidic, but I'd
probably do that anyway. :)  This is useful for player display, too.

This boils down to having multiple versions (per language) of
different tags.  It's not good enough to just store two title fields;
they need to be associated, since there may be more than one such
field--for artists (or whatever you call them :), for example.

Now, I could envision this being done fairly simply in comment tags, but
on one hand, I don't know if that's the place for it; and on the other,
there's probably not much demand for it.  I've wanted this type of thing
for a good while, though, and a standard place for it would be nice.
Putting this stuff in a custom metadata field would mean having to
write my own tagging software.

--
Glenn Maynard