[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Wed Dec 12 16:25:17 PST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 10:53:44AM +1100, MARK JAMES HETHERINGTON wrote:
>I don't like this:
>"Any attempt to use the ARTIST
>tag must be an extreme nuisance for the user of the program."
>
>I'd prefer something like "Use of the "PERFORMER/ENSEMBLE" tags instead
>of  the "ARTIST" tag should be encouraged. This may be acheived through
>interface cues etc. The use of the artist tag should not be made
>impossible, or necessarily harder, but the option to use the
>PERFORMER/ENSEMBLE tag should be made obvious and convenient."

Thanks. I've updated the proposal to just remove that troublesome ARTIST
clause.  It now reads like this:

    Compliant tag editors and rippers may support tags not in the
    standard, as long as they encourage use of standard tags over
    any non-standard tags.

Is that acceptable?

>While silently converting freedb tags to performer would work fine, I
>think it might break players looking for the "Artist" tag. (loads xmms).
>Hrmmm, it says "%p - performer/artist", how convenient!

I have a feeling that the winamp/xmms architectures are flexible enough
that if we adopt this standard, their support will shortly follow.  It
will just involve the addition of another strcmp() call.

>Now, let me just check grip, it has a "%a" for artist straight from
>freedb..... And it's passed straight to oggenc, checking oggenc, oggenc
>only allows "-a" for inputing artist tags. How does oggenc save it in
>the file? I'm assuming it saves it as "Artist=...."

grip can move over to using vorbiscomment with a minimum of fuss.

Jonathan