[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Thu Dec 6 20:29:28 PST 2001

On Friday 07 December 2001 15:13, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 02:57:55PM +1300, John Morton wrote:
> >On Friday 07 December 2001 14:39, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> >> Sorry. the ARTIST tag is crufty baggage we shouldn't be shackled to til
> >> the next millenium.  It has to go.  Sooner the better.
> >
> >Well, that's your opinion. I don't see any reason why these different
> > field sets can't live together, after all, you don't have to use them.
> > Personally I'll go on using the ARTIST tag where it suits me, and as I
> > can use arbitary tags as much as I like, there's nothing you can do to
> > stop me.
>
> You can use an ARTIST tag all you want.  But OGG is not MP3.  Don't be
> surprised if the standard-following players stop displaying your ARTIST
> tag.

I'm sure I can just patch around that silliness. I'm sure someone will beat
me to it. You're dreaming if you think you can force people to stop using
'artist' to mean artist.

> If people still use ARTIST, there is little incentive to support
> ENSEMBLE, PERFORMER and CONDUCTOR.  The standard will die stillborn,
> and we'll forever be limited to the toy sandbox that MP3 plays in.

If people will be too lazy to switch from ARTIST to something more specific
if you leave it in, what make you think they'll do the right thing if you
remove it? I gaurantee you everything that was in ARTIST will end up in
mislabled into PERFORMER instead - all you will have accomplished is to have
renamed ARTIST to something else and pissed of half the user population in
the process.

Unless you can come up with a general tool that will transform just the right
substrings of the artist field of id3 and cddb to appropriate artist
components in your vorbiscomment proposal, then artist might as well continue
to live as a field. Here's a hint - you can't do it.

If you want people to use these tags, you'll need to make it falling of a log
easy for the implementors of tag editors and players to add useful support
for them, and write some apps that demonstrate why more specific tags are
actually useful to users.

If you hacked opennap to support searches by arbitary fields in oggs and
demonstrated the merit of this to the world by pulling up all the tracks
composed by Mozart or all the songs remixed by Dave Clarke, then users might
have a reason to take the extra time tagging files. Until then, all those
tags are just dead weight.

John