[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Dec 6 18:13:06 PST 2001

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 02:57:55PM +1300, John Morton wrote:
>On Friday 07 December 2001 14:39, Jonathan Walther wrote:
>> Sorry. the ARTIST tag is crufty baggage we shouldn't be shackled to til
>> the next millenium.  It has to go.  Sooner the better.
>
>Well, that's your opinion. I don't see any reason why these different field
>sets can't live together, after all, you don't have to use them. Personally
>I'll go on using the ARTIST tag where it suits me, and as I can use arbitary
>tags as much as I like, there's nothing you can do to stop me.

You can use an ARTIST tag all you want.  But OGG is not MP3.  Don't be
surprised if the standard-following players stop displaying your ARTIST
tag.

If people still use ARTIST, there is little incentive to support
ENSEMBLE, PERFORMER and CONDUCTOR.  The standard will die stillborn,
and we'll forever be limited to the toy sandbox that MP3 plays in.

Jonathan