[vorbis] Title formatting for players/plugins

Benjamin Flanders ben_flanders at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 17:41:59 PDT 2001

--- Hugo van der Merwe <hugovdm at mail.com> wrote:
> I have a number of friends that are interested in
> Ogg Vorbis, and if I
> were to supply them with something easy to use, they
> will use Vorbis.
> Now, as I don't have Windows, I have no idea what to
> advise. I know
> there's a list of software that supports Vorbis on
> www.vorbis.com, but I
> don't really know any of it well. My friends often
> use the likes of
> MusicMatch Jukebox. What can people advise as
> Ogg-capable alternatives?
> What is the most common, "user friendly", cd ripping
> and encoding
> software out there?

I find that Media Jukebox is the best
ripping/encoding/organizing program around. It will
rip and populate vorbis comments without a hitch.  I
find it's organizing to be top notch, and this is the
reason I use it.  There are two major problems with it
right now though.
1. It uses an encoder from last November!! And it's
decoder is from May.  They both work great, but this
format has been changing so much (for the better)
lately that I would like to see it use the better
encoder at least.  On the plus side you can specify an
external encoder and use oggenc.exe but it takes
longer and I am not sure about how it handles
comments.

2. It uses CDDB.  They used to support FreeDB until
the gracenote flunkies came down on them and stopped
connectivity for a weekend and they were practically
forced into a very restrictive contract.  (At least
this is the feeling I get from the responses of the
developers.)

just my thoughts
ben

> 'scuse me asking this kind of over-asked question,
> and one that should
> be solved by personal investigation, but as I say, I
> cannot do that
> myself, and these people are lazy. (But it is
> definatly a place where
> Ogg Vorbis could spread like wild-fire... University
> Residences... a
> bunch of students...) Currently mp3 rules, with a
> number of lost wma
> files here and there.
>
> Hugo van der Merwe

> 'vorbis-request at xiph.org'
> containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.
> No subject is needed.
> Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be
ignored/filtered.