[vorbis] Peeling vs Coupling

Reuben Martin reuben at fishB8.dns2go.com
Mon Aug 20 14:20:20 PDT 2001

 After reading the documentation on the different types of channel coupling
I began to wonder what effects this might have on bit peeling. Say for
instance an audio file is encoded at a rather high bit rate with channel
coupling type "X".  Later on the same file is streamed, and is peeled down
to a much lower bit rate in the process. However at this lower bit rate,
channel coupling type "Y" is much more effective than type "X" for the
reduced bit rate. From what I understand of cascaded coding, all the chained
codebooks use the same type of coupling, meaning peeled files would retain
the same type of coupling.

 The question is this: Is it feasible to use different types of coupling
within the cascaded codebooks. Codebooks lower down in the chain would use
different types than those higher up in the chain so that if the file is
peeled, the optimal coupling type for the given bit rate would be the
predominate type? And, if it is feasible, is it even practical?

(Sorry if I use any incorrect terminology, I barely understand any of this
stuff myself. I think you can grasp the idea I'm getting at though.)

*I sent this once before, but it got stuck somewhere between my computer and
Xiph.org, so if a similar message shows up out of nowhere in the future just
ignore it. Once a message showed up 3 days after I sent it.*