[vorbis] Batch-Tagging oggs?

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 11:00:10 PDT 2001

Peter Gammeltoft wrote:

> If I have a batch of files (wave and/or ogg) with a certain naming scheme.
> Would it be possible for me to write a small nifty (newbie) dos-batch
> program that could tag those ogg-files (or encode the waves with tags)  with
> regards to the namin parameters.
>
> Let me clarify. I usually encode waves with the naming pattern "Artist -
> Album - leading zero track number - Track Title" or "Artist - Track Title".
>
> How would I go about either encoding a batch of these waves with tags
> embedded or tagging the batch of resulting oggs.
>
> (Basically I'm wondering if it is possible to make a small tagging program
> with the same basic tagging scheme as the splendid (IMO) program  MPTagger)

I don't think you could do this in MS-DOS batch language, which has no
capability for manipulating the contents of strings. A Unix shell could
do it easily. A scripting language such as Perl or Python could also do
it quite well.

The relevant parameters to oggenc are as follows:

oggenc -a "Artist Name" -l "Album Name" -t "Song Title" -n tracknumber
       -o OggFilename.ogg WavFilename.wav

Craig