[vorbis] Batch-Tagging oggs?

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Mon Aug 20 11:01:59 PDT 2001

> Hello all.
>
> Quick question ('Cause I'm famished and have to get something to eat)
>
> If I have a batch of files (wave and/or ogg) with a certain naming scheme.
> Would it be possible for me to write a small nifty (newbie) dos-batch
> program that could tag those ogg-files (or encode the waves with tags)
with
> regards to the namin parameters.
>
> Let me clarify. I usually encode waves with the naming pattern "Artist -
> Album - leading zero track number - Track Title" or "Artist - Track
Title".

> How would I go about either encoding a batch of these waves with tags
> embedded or tagging the batch og resulting oggs.
>
> (Basically I'm wondering if it is possible to make a small tagging program
> with the same basic tagging scheme as the splendid (IMO) program
MPTagger)

> Any takers, any suggestions?

I don't know how you would go about doing that in DOS Shell, but I have been
doing that with a quick perl script I put together. (See attached). It reads
all .wav files in the current directory, and runs oggenc once for each one.
I also use "Artist - Album - Track - Song Title", so it should work for you
unmodified.

Actually, I have a dual-cpu system, so I run two copies: xlat.pl and
xlat2.pl each encode half of the songs in the current directory, each in its
own DOS window. ogg.pl is the one-cpu version.

You can get a Win32 binary of the perl interpreter from www.activestate.com

> What programming language (should I get bold and try to do some first-time
> programming) would you recommend for such a feat ;-)

Bash, maybe? (See www.cygwin.com for a Win32 bash). The 'B' in BASIC stands
for 'Beginner'. It's a good language to start with (and you might even be
able to find qbasic.exe on your windows install disk). Java-the-language is
nice in some ways, but I don't like Java-the-VM. Unfortunately, the two seem
to be tied rather tightly together (although recent gcc has a native backend
for Java). I'm not familiar with Python or Smalltalk, but I've heard good
things about them. Perl is nice, but don't try to learn the whole language
at once.

I'd say, get a good book. I learned things the hard way (reference manuals.
Ick.), but that doesn't mean you have to.

Let me know how it works out.

Peter Harris

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/x-zip-compressed attachment: batch.zip
</UL>