[vorbis] RC2 worse than RC1 and Beta4

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Sat Aug 18 14:18:43 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Attila Padar" <galileog at externet.hu>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 11:10 PM
Subject: Re: [vorbis] RC2 worse than RC1 and Beta4

> I haven't got special test programs or hardware
> tools, but in my listening tests the RC2 seems to be
> worse than the beta4 (I'm missing the sharp/clear
> high sounds from the RC2 using the highest bitrates)
> But in the latest CVS (aug. 17.) there are some
> corrections in the psy.c and floor1.c
> and it seems with these modifications the sound
> quality is better (tested on high bitrates, but now
> the highest bitrate is 280kbit... you should calculate
> again the encoder tables...).

If you are using high bitrates you are just seeing placebo
effects. There are changes in the point stereo calculations
in CVS, but point stereo is not used in the higher bitrate
modes.

If you do listening tests, always do a blind test. Your
mind _will_ play tricks on you otherwise. In fact, RC2
sounding worse than beta4 for you may very well
be just because you read on this list that is what other
people thought. There are others who percieve it just
the opposite.

> I hope the developer(s) will find and correct
> every quality bugs... and we will get a perfect
> encoder in the far future...

The near future would be cool too :)

--
GCP