[vorbis] Serious GCC/EGCS 2.91 bug found (bites rc2)

Doug McNaught doug at wireboard.com
Fri Aug 17 17:11:00 PDT 2001

"Dr.Joerg Bergmann" <bergmann at Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de> writes:

> OK, my words were incorrect. The compiler is OK, but the libc is
> buggy. But: A compiler without library is nonsens, at least for
> all non-system (non-kernel) development. E.g. the JAVA distributions
> must contain a huge set of libraries, otherwise no one would call them
> as "compiler+runtime".
>
> I'm not so familiar with the Linux world, I'm very familiar with
> JAVA and commercial C compilers like the Watcom. Therefore, in my
> opinion the libraries are part of the compiler distribution (as it is
> e.g. for the Watcom C compiler).

Simply not true for the Unix world, in general.  Libc (and libm)
generally comes with the system rather than the compiler.  If atan()
is buggy on a Solaris program compiled with GCC, it's Sun's fault, not
GNU's.

Of course, on Linux, both packages (compiler and library) come with
the system, but they are maintained by completely separate groups of
developers.

Java is somewhat of a different beast, but even there you can run code
compiled with IBM's Jikes compiler on a Sun JVM/libraries (though it
might or might not be a good idea).

</pedant>

-Doug

--
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
http://www.freesklyarov.org/

We will return to our regularly scheduled signature shortly.