[vorbis] 16 KHz clip-off?

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Tue Aug 14 14:23:41 PDT 2001

> There were problems in the other end of the spectrum IIRC.

Aren´t bitrate saving from channel coupling big enough
to compensate these issues? Is it really necessary
to cut off everything above 16 KHz?

I mean: The 96 kbps mode uses a 16 KHz lowpass, too.
(And at this bitrate it is a wise decision to do so!)
At 128 kbps, however, it should be possible to
raise that filter up to - let´s say - 17 KHz when
tuning is done. But of course, as I´m not a developer,
I may be seriously wrong...

> Quite a bit of people seem to be of the opinion that beta4 had
> better quality, or at least that RC2 is not all that better.
>
> > In Beta4 it did not. Why was the 112 kbps mode removed? No time
> > to tune it?
>
> I think so.

Do you think there is a chance it will be back in future? :-)

bye,

Maik Merten

--
  MetalUnleashed: http://www.metalunleashed.de