[vorbis] 16 KHz clip-off?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Aug 15 13:55:17 PDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 11:23:41PM +0200, Maik Merten wrote:
> > There were problems in the other end of the spectrum IIRC.
>
> Aren´t bitrate saving from channel coupling big enough
> to compensate these issues? Is it really necessary
> to cut off everything above 16 KHz?

The channel coupling savings at 128 is mostly being used for the extra
bits needed for bass clarity.  The 16kHz cutoff is there mostly
because of the occasional sample where the very very high end fell
apart.

> At 128 kbps, however, it should be possible to
> raise that filter up to - let´s say - 17 KHz when
> tuning is done. But of course, as I´m not a developer,
> I may be seriously wrong...

I'd expect you to be right actually.  The noise metrics are all new
and tuning isn't done.  I'm still 'getting to know' the new encoder.

> Do you think there is a chance it will be back in future? :-)

112kbps?  Sure.  What I'm trying to do is fill in 'key' modes, such
that the bitrate management engine can fill in the modes between
without manual intervention.

Monty