[vorbis] Sound clip with encoder issue.

Michael Bedy mjbedy at mediaone.net
Mon Aug 13 20:32:42 PDT 2001

  Hi,

  If you check out:

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/mjbedy/iamyou.wav

  You will find a clip that causes an interesting problem with the RC2
encoder. (I have not tried any earlier encoder.) This clip is the first 15
seconds of "I Am You" from Depeche Mode's recent "Exciter" album. It is a
quiet passage with a few interesting things going on sonicly.

  I suggest you first encode the file at 64kbps. The problem occurs at all
bitrates, but is most audible at the lower ones. The encoded file
introduces an artifact that sounds remarkably like a blown speaker. Once
you have heard it at 64kbs (it is very obvious,) go ahead and try the
highest bitrate. The noise is much more subdued, but it is still there.

  If you listen _real_ closely to the original, you can hear the very
quiet sound in the background that is likely tripping the encoder up. It
almost sounds like a cat purring.

  Hope this is of some help.

     - Mike