[vorbis] Vorbis Stuff on Slashdot

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Tue Aug 7 10:05:47 PDT 2001

At 12:47 7/08/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>> Ogg Vorbis is a she?
>>
>Yup... notice parallels with finding the perfect woman *G*... this should
>appeal to our male-centric audience.
>
>> Hmm, can intensity stereo really cause pre-echo?
>
>Hmm, I dunno, read something about that waaaay back.  It mentioned
>intensity stereo was what increased/gave us that underwater sound (which I
>later found was called pre-echo)... Anyone clarify this?

It's quite possible that intensity stereo aggrevates the
pre-echo effect (I sometimes call it temporal smearing), but
I don't think it's the actual cause of it.

The main problem with preecho and early mp3 coders was
a bug in the ISO code which controlled the switching
between long and short blocks. Short blocks exist exactly
to cancel the preecho effects. But it's still a tricky
area (see current Vorbis, which can also be pretty bad
on preecho sometimes)

Rumors have it that Vorbis will solve it completely
in the future via wavelets, but I'll believe that when
I see them.

>> This isn't true. It's just that anything else is so
>> patented as to be useless.
>>

>Of course, that's why I didn't put in a "but".  If we learn anything from
>the marketing droids at other companies,  it's that OUR product is better,
>and that by throwing out "buts" and caveats we just end up confusing
>people. As far as I'm concerned, there are no options, and that's what I
>want others to think as well. *G*

..by _not_ throwing out...we just end up confusing people

Excellent point. Well-written PR is good for Vorbis.

PS. I wonder if non-techies will know what 'CVS syncing' is.

--
GCP