[vorbis] Vorbis Stuff on Slashdot

Vorbis vorbis at papaya.altamente.com
Tue Aug 7 09:47:48 PDT 2001

> Ogg Vorbis is a she?

Yup... notice parallels with finding the perfect woman *G*... this should
appeal to our male-centric audience.

> Hmm, can intensity stereo really cause pre-echo?

Hmm, I dunno, read something about that waaaay back.  It mentioned
intensity stereo was what increased/gave us that underwater sound (which I
later found was called pre-echo)... Anyone clarify this?

> Also, you use free as in speech and 'libre'. Perhaps
> it will not be very clear what you mean to people
> unfamiliar with FSF ideas. It's clear in the text
> you can't really explain it in 3 words. If you consider
> it important enough to mention several times, it
> is worthwhile to explain why exactly 'libre' is
> important. This is Vorbis's reason of existance
> after all.

Thinking on this

> I'm quite sure Frauhoffer is not the correct spelling.

Oops, typo.

> Quote:
>>But for home, it's got to be ogg and a non PC dedicated
>>system sound system.

Fixed

> Also:
> OGG, ogg, Ogg
>
> Bit more uniformity in naming same thing is always good.

 Fixed

>>mp3 doesn't shine at relatively low bitrates
>
> Compared to ogg, mp3 doesn't really shine at any bitrate
> (you forgot punctuation too)

Fixed punctuation.

>>Nothing but OGG has stepped up to fill the void.
>
> This isn't true. It's just that anything else is so
> patented as to be useless.

Of course, that's why I didn't put in a "but".  If we learn anything from
the marketing droids at other companies,  it's that OUR product is better,
and that by throwing out "buts" and caveats we just end up confusing
people. As far as I'm concerned, there are no options, and that's what I
want others to think as well. *G*

Very good humble opinions.  Thanks, it's a better piece now.
James