[vorbis] Transcoding listening test

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Mon Aug 6 14:07:54 PDT 2001

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Anthony Arcieri wrote:

> Personally, I'd have no problem with a 192kbps MP3 of a live peformance of
> a song transcoded to a 128kbps ogg.  As the quality of the original
> recording is most likely going to be crap anyway, I probably won't be
> paying much attention to artifacts.

Uhm well that is _exactly_ what I did this listening test for.

Some of the artifacts introduced by the transconding are much
more severe than the ones that were orinally present. I can
live with the poor quality of some Blade files I still have
lying around, but I cannot live with the quality of the resulting
oggs.

I you want to transcode because space is an issue, 'rm' will work
just as well. And it will sound better too. And it has better
compression. Anybody beat that?

--
GCP