[vorbis] Transcoding listening test

Anthony Arcieri bascule at holly.ColoState.EDU
Mon Aug 6 13:00:55 PDT 2001

> As far as I can see, transcoding could be usefull
> for people who do not primarly care about quality
> but about filesizes.

The only reason that has any sort of validity for transcoding is
increasing the amount of content available in Ogg format, which should be
done only in the case that the original uncompressed source is
unavailable.

Personally, I'd have no problem with a 192kbps MP3 of a live peformance of
a song transcoded to a 128kbps ogg.  As the quality of the original
recording is most likely going to be crap anyway, I probably won't be
paying much attention to artifacts.

Tony Arcieri