[vorbis] Vorbis native Ripper-decoder-encoder

Hongli Lai hongli at telekabel.nl
Fri Aug 3 09:48:03 PDT 2001

On 2001.08.03 16:11:43 +0200 Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 03:52:12AM -0400, Claudio Bustos wrote:
> > Mhhh... Yes, I know is redundant to do (many programs do the same
> work),
> > but I think is a must to make a ripper-decoder-encoder based on Ogg.
> Yes,
> > encode a file in ogg from a mp3 is BAD, but the end-user WANT THIS.
> ¿How
> [snip]
>
> Why do they want this? What platform can play OGG but not mp3? It
> wouldn't
> improve the quality. It wouldn't improve seamless playback. It wouldn't
> improve the tagging and it wouldn't improve the patent situation.

Perhaps to save disk space? Some people have a HUGE collection of MP3s (a
few GBs).
They can save a few GBs or a few hundreds of MBs by converting them to Ogg
Vorbis.
I have a collection of 150 MB, and I can reduce it to 100 MB or less.
Most people don't have a high-quality soundcard (if they even exists) or
super-l33t stereo towers to play digital audio, so they won't hear any
difference.