[vorbis] Vorbis native Ripper-decoder-encoder

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Fri Aug 3 07:11:43 PDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 03:52:12AM -0400, Claudio Bustos wrote:
> Mhhh... Yes, I know is redundant to do (many programs do the same work),
> but I think is a must to make a ripper-decoder-encoder based on Ogg. Yes,
> encode a file in ogg from a mp3 is BAD, but the end-user WANT THIS. ¿How
[snip]

Why do they want this? What platform can play OGG but not mp3? It wouldn't
improve the quality. It wouldn't improve seamless playback. It wouldn't
improve the tagging and it wouldn't improve the patent situation.
Transcoding from MP3 has no compelling advantages, the only result would be
polluting the base of available OGGs with one that have had their audio
quality subtly compromised by passing them through poor mp3 encoders.

Today, when you download an mp3, I've found that you need to ensure it's
192kbit in order to have somewhat acceptable quality simply because there are
so many uninformed people using poorer encoders that produce unacceptable
quality at bitrates less then 192. By making OGG transcoding trivial, we
will bring the same problem over to OGG users, without offering any
compelling advantage.

It really is a bad idea.