[vorbis] A killer clip

Bacchus 13 bacchus13 at zdnetonebox.com
Thu Aug 2 12:31:07 PDT 2001

---- On Thu 02 Aug 2001 - 11:45:57 PDT
 Hongli Lai <hongli at telekabel.nl> wrote:

HL> Yes, but that's because MP3 is already overhyped.
HL> Many people are looking for a free MP3 encoder, and so they found
LAME.
HL> LAME's popularity is because of MP3's popularity.

I think the conclusion would be different from the interpretation of
premises...  Which do you think the reason of 'MP3's popularity'?

1. Patent companies over-hyped MP3.

2. MP3 unchained music heritages from CD formats delivering new way of
enjoying music to people.

If the premise is 1, you are right and this should be the end of the
discussion.  However, if 2, there should new rules and technologies be
introduced into music industry.

Marriage between new technologies and new rules...probably, one of the
reasons why Monty has kept calling this movements from the first place.
 Again, should we be the advocacy list?  ;-)