[vorbis] A killer clip

Hongli Lai hongli at telekabel.nl
Thu Aug 2 13:31:33 PDT 2001

On 2001.08.02 21:31:07 +0200 Bacchus 13 wrote:
> ---- On Thu 02 Aug 2001 - 11:45:57 PDT
>  Hongli Lai <hongli at telekabel.nl> wrote:
> I think the conclusion would be different from the interpretation of
> premises...  Which do you think the reason of 'MP3's popularity'?
>
> 1. Patent companies over-hyped MP3.
>
> 2. MP3 unchained music heritages from CD formats delivering new way of
> enjoying music to people.
>
> If the premise is 1, you are right and this should be the end of the
> discussion.  However, if 2, there should new rules and technologies be
> introduced into music industry.
>
> Marriage between new technologies and new rules...probably, one of the
> reasons why Monty has kept calling this movements from the first place.
>  Again, should we be the advocacy list?  ;-)

I think the reason why MP3 is popular is because people can get music for
free. ;-)
There wasn't any other audio compression alternative AFAIK when MP3 became
popular.

But MP3 is popular now. Because it's already popular, companies can keep it
popular for a while by promoting it.
Microsoft has been able to keep Windows "popular" all these years...

But Ogg Vorbis needs to be superior *and* good marketed to be able to reach
mainstream.
Just being superior isn't enough these days (think VHS vs Betamax).
I'm doing all I can to convert all those MP3 and WMA hippies to Ogg Vorbis.
:)