[vorbis] Vorbis native Ripper-decoder-encoder

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Sun Aug 5 20:21:34 PDT 2001

On 4 Aug 2001, at 0:10, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> After discussing downloaded mp3 quality with a 'regular joe', a while back:
> I came to the conclusion that the perceived poor quality MP3's downloaded
> from the Internet came from the presence of all the garbage encoders out
> there. Users who are savvy enough to care about quality can comprehend the
> bitrate field as an indicator of quality, but they have trouble coping with
> a metadataless cause of poor quality (varying encoders) and were dismayed
> when their 160kbit/sec downloaded file sounded like it was underwater.

This reminds me of my first experiences with MP3.  When I was
first learning of MP3 about six or seven years ago, I was a
computer science major in college.  And although I had taken
classes in coding and information theory (amoung other things), I
still had a hard time understanding how different encoders could
produce varying results at the same bitrate, yet still fall within the
same specification.  My naivete feels shameful now, but illustrates
Gregory's point well.

-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org